For hundreds of years, the peninsula was marshes which were drained in the 16th century but the land remained bleak and was where pirates' corpses were exhibited in gibbets. The main gunpowder store supplying the military was here from 1695 to 1771 and industry came in the 19th century. This was primarily ordnance, metal, cables and chemicals and the gas works for about 100 years until 1980. Much of the land was contaminated. The area remained 'remote' from London due to the absence of transport links. The old factories fell into disuse and were demolished and the land cleaned. The 1990s brought the beginning of redevelopment with the arrival of an underground and bus station in preparation for the visitors to the Millennium Dome (now the O2).
Leisure & Amenities
Places to go and things to do:
- O2 arena
- Up at the O2 - climb The Dome
Eating and drinking ideas:
- Many restaurants and bars on The Avenue in the O2
- North Greenwich station - Jubilee line and buses
- Emirates Air Line - cable car across the Thames to the north shore at Royal Docks.
- North Greenwich Pier - for river buses
- Ravensbourne College - university